Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Matt and I found out in December that we were being blessed with a child. During a sonogram in April we were told that our little girl has spina bifida. What a shock!!
On April 27th, we traveled to Nashville, TN to have some additional testing done at Vanderbilt Medical Center, Children's Hospital and were selected for a clinical trial. In this clinical trial, there were two options, fetal surgery or post surgery. The Lord lead us in the direction of the fetal surgery that occured on May 1st. With Matt by our side, Addi and I headed into surgery.

The doctors performed a C-section and repaired the leasion on Addi's back. The doctors reported that Addi and I were a very strong couple of ladies. The surgery went well with no complications. Matt stayed by my side the whole time, sleeping on a cot in my room and made sure the doctors took good care of me. After a couple nights of that, he thought that he might have needed the epidural as well.

The best part was that we were doing so well that they let us leave on Saturday afternoon. While we were in the hospital, we had sonograms of Addi everyday to make sure that she was doing well. The first sonogram, we were able to see Addi playing with her toes and her tongue and give us a quick wave. Like she knew she was being watched. Matt said that Addi was starting physcial therapy already in the womb. On the second sonogram, Addi was still fascinated with her toes and we saw both of her feet flex at the ankles. PRAISE GOD!! I believe that was his sign of showing us everything is going to be fine.

Matt and I moved back into the hotel, where I will be staying until Addi is born. My mom came in on Sunday to stay with me, while Matt continued back to Hutchinson to continue farming. Though I miss him dearly, mom is being quite the 'warden', making sure that I maintain bedrest required by the doctors.

Addi continues to let me know that she is still there, by using my stomach as her 'punching' bag.

We praise God daily for all of the loving individuals that have supported us from the begining. THANK YOU!!!! We would not have made it this far without your loving prayers.

No comments: